FRAGMENTS OF A PARTY

"FRAGMENTS OF A PARTY"

                                                        
 Chronicle of the Book: "CLINICAL CAUSES"
                                                                                   Author: Fernando Ortiz

 It was a long time ago, but it was exactly 11 years and 10 months that I met my little friend of the canine species and of the schnauzer breed, which we call him Nick.  I remember that my wife and I made this decision to bring company to our son, then a six-year-old child.  And then we found out that he would become a great companion for everyone, especially me and my wife.

 I remember his mischief yesterday, when I was still six months old, I loved to bite and destroy everyone's slippers.  And the "scolding" he did was useless.  We were careless, and there he would bite and destroy a new slipper.  He slept on his couch, but in our room.  And every night he would come to my side of the bed and wake me up with his paw.  There was no doubt he was in the mood to pee.  And all I had to do was open the bedroom door, and he would run out to the newspaper spread in the service area to make his "pee" (he was always very hygienic, he learned quickly to do his needs in the right places). Then with a look of gratitude  I returned to his bed and I to mine.  That was several times in life.  There was no point in leaving the bedroom door open, because even then he called me for his nocturnal "pee".  Why me and not my wife?  That he never revealed to me.

 He had a friendly personality and remarkable intelligence. Always affectionate and friendly, he felt almost human.

 When I spent sleepless nights many times, writing my book.  He willingly remained at my side, and it was no use for my wife to call him, he resisted and remained at my side.

 In fact, my little friend would climb up on a chair and lean over my desk and stay there for hours sharp, watching me as I typed the book.  And that took six long months.  And he always beside me into the morning.

 When we went out to work or even to shop at the supermarket, we were just around us to be received with a warm welcome from him, there were countless jumps of joy and expressions of contentment with our arrival.  Every day it was the same situation, we just had to leave so that on the way back we would be welcomed with a party by our “little wolf.” He made me feel like the real alpha wolf of the pack, that is, of the family.

 He captivated by capturing the "spirit" of the house and entering our pace of life, allowing himself to be influenced by our behavior.  I would like to participate in our daily lives.

 Sometimes when I felt sad and upset about a certain situation, he was there to comfort me.  He stood beside me, looking at me and with his eyes he seemed to understand my suffering.  I loved company, hated being alone and, therefore, I tried to stay in the same environment as the house where there was a person, preferably my wife.  In her absence, he stood by the front door, waiting patiently for her to return.  This attitude generated a comment from her:
 - Fernando, did you notice that Nick seems to share his feelings.  If you are absent, my company is not enough, he stands in front of the door waiting for you.  And when it’s me it’s the same.  He's just happy with the presence of both of us!  I had to agree.  Our puppy actually had unquestionable loyalty.

 If we were at home watching TV, he would lie beside us on the living room carpet, as if he were watching TV too.  He was an inseparable companion.

 When we traveled he chose the car window to put his head out and keep the wind in his furry face!

 He had an irascible genius, if he didn't like something he snarled and it was useless to insist that maybe he would bite!  We never try to exceed this limit so as not to test your sharp canines!  He didn't like to be brushed, he didn't like to be grabbed, to bathe was a fight, because he was reluctant to go.  And to give a lick as a sign of gratitude as other dogs do was rare.  But it doesn't matter, we liked him the way he was!  And he got along very well with us.  Always cheerful and playful.  Even at an older age, he was always a great companion.

 And it was exactly 11 years and 10 months of living together.  Even though he had diabetes and was blind, he adapted to adversity, struggled with tenacity against the disease. He had a great desire to live, and he offered us every day with examples of perseverance and overcoming.  Until one day, already debilitated by the disease that consumed him, he also had a mast cell tumor, he could not resist, and he was affected by a massive heart attack.  He gave a whispered growl and left.  There was no time for goodbyes.  In silence and without bluster, our great friend left.  It was actually an angel disguised as a friend.  It was pure and innocent.  And it made our life colorful and full of beauty.

 I want to have your friendship forever.  So far we have traveled together.  But you left us, following another path.  Although fate wanted it that way.  Take our longing and our hope for a reunion.
 Goodbye my little friend Nick!

 (07/20/2000 - 05/12/2012).

Comentários